Friday, July 16, 2010

Square Root

We pondered square roots as we walked out the door. In breezy twilight, to unaffordable dinner. 12 is the square root of 144, I said, a perfect number. My hand in my sport coat, fumbling for directions inside a torn pocket. I like 4 myself, you said, 2 times 2 and 2 plus 2 giving you the same thing. Simple, like living in the country, you said, extracting a compact from your purse.

If we sold everything tomorrow, I said, would you come with me, move to the country, live the simple life? Of course--you looking into your mirror--would there be wine? I started the car, said, plenty, we could even own a vineyard, stomp our own grapes.

The car chugged, worked itself to a purr, the engine whining, scraping. Really, you said, we could make our own wine? I nodded, looking straight ahead. Really, I was just guessing. Formulating futures starting at infinity instead of a shoestring--anything was possible.

Quick, what’s the square root of 3,940,225, you asked, tucking away your compact. Dumbfounded at such large numbers, I shrugged my shoulders. 1985, you said, a stellar vintage for wines. Of course it was, I thought. Looking at you--your mind full of numbers I can’t contemplate. We dream big dreams, multiples of our reality, sublime vintages yet to materialize.

As we turned left into the restaurant parking lot, the car stalled for a second in the opposing lane, a pair of bug-eyed headlights bearing down on us, then regained life in a chugging hum. My heart sinking, your face stone, eyes straight ahead.

10 comments:

  1. Really good, especially like this line:

    "We dream big dreams, multiples of our reality, sublime vintages yet to materialize."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has such a melancholy feel. I really liked the last paragraph, so much to be read there. This is rich and full, like a fine red wine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank goodness their number wasn't up :)

    Peace ~ Rene

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm imagining Lars and the Real Girl here. Am I way off?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Really, I was just guessing. Formulating futures starting at infinity instead of a shoestring--anything was possible."

    That clobbered me.

    Funny, I went back and read only the last line of each paragraph, in order, and came up with the pith of your story. Amazing execution.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wine making, car engines everything revolves around numbers really - calendars, calibrations etc.

    Great metaphorical frame for a story

    marc nash

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Formulating futures starting at infinity instead of a shoestring--anything was possible." - this touched me greatly and brought back some very happy memories of building castles in the sky. I've not done this in a while, so than you for the timely reminder!

    As always your pieces make me reflect on all manner of things

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many things to ponder in this! I agree with mazzz, there is much to reflect on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty ignorant at math, but it seems like higher mathematics is like a parallel reality - something fascinating to place beside everyday life, and linking to it in many ways, but existing in its own realm somehow. As always, your writing is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete