Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What's the Point?

One of the challenges I had with this blog was, what’s the purpose of it?  Should it be to post thoughts about writing fiction, or to post my flash fiction, or to comment on other works or ideas out there, or something else?  The last few posts aside, I’ve tried to shy away from posting my thoughts about anything and made it mostly straight posts of fiction.  Perhaps it should’ve been more than that.  But know that "what's the point?" has long been a struggle of mine with this blog.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christian, I know what you're talking about in your last three blog posts at "I'm not Emilio Estivez" (still cracks me up that one). I've come to think that blogging as a marketing exercise and/or to keep yourself afloat in the virtual community of mutual admiration is a useful and powerful procrastination device. I still have periods in which I blogged intensely, but without a steady harvesting of visitors (via Fictionaut, Google+, Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter) very few people will come your way, and unless you enjoy shouting into a black netherworld, little energy comes back. My own solution has always been to write up a nonfiction storm of blog posts, which I then slowly release into the ether especially during phases when I'm wholly dissatisfied with the net and with the flimsiness of responses and relationships. I'm entering one of those phases now and I feel like an addict who must wean himself from the needle…In any case, no line is ever lost, not on you, not on us, and I wish you all the best. I have enjoyed your stories on and off the blog and I'm sure you're off to a great restart! Three cheers from Berlin!

    ReplyDelete