Thursday, August 26, 2010

Casolaro 29

One morning, Casolaro woke, looked into his bathroom mirror with double vision. An early symptom of multiple sclerosis. Two Casolaros in two mirrors, living identical lives. Somewhere, he thought, they split along the fourth dimension; one of them ceases to be Danny Casolaro and goes off into the ether, becomes some sort of phantom that haunts the shadows of this world. For a moment he felt nauseous, as he could feel the duality split at his eyes. He sat on a closed toilet and waited for it to pass. Two of me and I could finish the investigation, he thought, be in two places at once. If one of me was killed, I could still carry on.

6 comments:

  1. Christian, The discipline you are demonstrating in writing these is incredible. Kudos. Each, fine pieces on their own. I especially enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was amazing, Christian. My favorite micro-fiction that I've read in a while. The place you went from the MS reference was so unexpected, and the magical realism of a thought process made narrative was captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks, guys! I appreciate you reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice and punchy, you very quickly invoke a deeply hectic moment where your character realizes that something is not quite right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool story! Quite a magical direction it took.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's losing it. Big time. Although why not make lemonade out of lemons - if life gives you MS, you can investigate twice as fast.

    ReplyDelete