Friday, August 13, 2010

Anaphylaxis

I told my wife, don’t eat the crab, remember what happened July 4th, but she shrugged, couldn’t resist. Then she complained of feeling hot, lightheaded. Then the hives came. Then she had trouble breathing. So I gave her Benadryl, rushed her to the hospital, told the scared kids, I’ll call. I went through two red lights, wanted some credit , but she wasn’t watching. Inside, the breathing’s better but still labored. She’s seen immediately. Doctor came by, asked, why’s she eating crab if she’s shellfish allergic. He had thick black glasses. His chiseled physique and perfect tan threw his career choice in your face. We didn’t know, I said, omitting, do you think I’m stupid? He asked about vomiting, diarrhea, anxiety. He mentioned anaphylaxis. He asked about drug, bee, nut allergies. The nurse administered epinephrine. My wife had an electrocution moment. Then she’s fine. The nurse hooked up an IV, said, you should be fine. Before calling home, I said, you look good now, but man that was scary. Why am I having problems now at 39? I shook my head, looked at her. She was scared, like the first time she was pregnant. I refrained from saying, I said don’t, and did you see me maneuver through traffic. I remembered our wedding reception. I tasted the crab cake, pulled her from greeting people, said, you have to try. And she did. Now, I said, forget crab, we’ll try other things. I wrapped my arms around her. Then she cried.

9 comments:

  1. God C, reading this again you so perfectly capture what it means to be married. Beautiful. Peace...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there's crabmeat in the fridge tonight for dinner. AND, at present, I'm itching from hives. *not kidding*

    But I'm not allergic to shellfish and the hives will go away.

    Loved the style of this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is punchy, I like the breaks with the deliberate use of I said, she said, give it an attachment and closeness. Really a solid write here. Excellent

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's a better husband than I am a wife; I try to bite back the "I told you's" but man, they always sneak out.

    Beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the rushed panic of this, and the slow down at the end. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting use of momentum here, Christian. The way you don't break sentiments into sentences could be jarring, but also made it race.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent writing and the dynamics between them superb. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the interplay. Sometimes people are stubborn. It makes me wonder if the crab isn't a symbol for her of something deeper.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  9. If a man was to tell you this story, this is how it would sound. Excellent voice.

    ReplyDelete